First Light Technologies is a fast-growing, award-winning designer and manufacturer of solar-powered outdoor lighting products.
We work with customers globally to make the world a better place by changing how the world does outdoor lighting – easier, more resilient, and less environmentally impactful. Last year alone, our lights avoided the emissions equivalent to driving over 30 million kilometers in a car.
Recent Awards and Accolades:
- Recent recipients of multiple LIT Product Design Awards for the BFL and PLB Series.
- Included on the Globe & Mail list of Top Growing Companies since its inception.
- Five straight years on the Growth 500 list of the fastest-growing companies in Canada.
- Six consecutive years on the Ready to Rocket Cleantech List.
If this sounds like something you’d want to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you. Please submit a resume and cover letter to HR@firstlighttechnologies.com
Location: Victoria, B.C.
You will design and maintain our Solar Lighting Controllers, the brains of our products. This involves defining the requirements, developing the schematics, completing layouts, validating the designs, and transferring the products to manufacturing. You will also maintain existing designs, implement improvements, and develop test equipment for both development and manufacturing.
- Developing and maintaining the electronics integral to our solar lighting controllers, including both digital and analog circuits, such as both boost and buck switching regulators;
- Collaborating with both the firmware and mechanical teams to ensure designs excel at a system level;
- Designing and developing factory test equipment;
- Developing and maintaining processes for the management of electronic design data;
- Contributing to the evolution of the electrical architecture;
- Verifying and validating the design through development to production. Develop and maintain long-term testing of hardware systems. Evolve our testing capability to be more efficient and effective;
- Developing accurate effort estimates for project planning. Maintaining and communicating work status. Interfacing with our development partners for the maintenance of existing products.
- Circuit design, analysis, simulation, prototyping, and testing of hardware;
- Component sourcing, including evaluation, datasheet analysis, and selection;
- Designing switching regulators such as those used in LED drivers and battery chargers;
- Designing with discrete power devices (mosfets, bipolar), and knowledge of their modes and configurations.
- Using Altium Designer to create schematics, layouts, and complete manufacturing documentation;
- Breadboarding circuits, modifying existing PCBAs, soldering, and rework;
- Experience with the manufacturing process, design for manufacture, surface mount, and mechanical interface;
- Verification & validation, and design of tests;
- Electronics troubleshooting skills;
- Able to interact with others to achieve goals;
- Experienced with automated testbed design and implementation;
- Experience with wireless technologies such as Bluetooth, Cellular, and GPS;
- A passion for personal growth and learning;
- Thinking holistically about the way a system’s constituent parts interrelate and how systems work over time and within the context of larger systems;
- Familiarity with firmware development would be an asset.
- Degree in Computer or Electrical Engineering;
- At least 5 years of experience designing embedded systems;
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter in confidence to: HR@firstlighttechnologies.com
We want to thank all applicants for their interest; only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.