Principal Electronics Designer
Do you love to design great products? Do you want to play a pivotal role in one of the fastest growing companies in Canada? If you answered yes, then read on. We’re looking for a skilled, and innovative Electronics Designer to help design our next generation of solar lighting products.
First Light Technologies (FLT) is an award-winning designer and manufacturer of solar powered, outdoor lighting products. For the last 3 years, we’ve been included in the Canadian Business Growth 500 list of Canada’s fastest growing companies and are continuing our growth in 2019 and beyond.
We work with customers globally helping to build safer, more usable communities through solar outdoor lighting. If this sounds like something you’d want to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you!
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Reporting to the Development Manager, you will be the Principal Electronics Designer of FLT’s Solar Lighting Controllers. You will take new designs from the concept phase through to production and maintain existing designs.
- Developing and maintaining the electronics integral to our solar lighting controllers, including both digital and analog
- Ensuring that our electronics, at a system level, are reliable and continually improving
- Developing and maintaining processes for the management of electronic design data
- Leading the evolution of the electrical architecture
- Verifying and validating the design through development to production. Develop and maintain long term testing of hardware systems. Evolve our testing capability to be more efficient and effective
- Developing accurate timeline and effort estimates for project planning and management. Maintaining and communicating work status. Interfacing with our development partners for maintenance of existing products
- Circuit design, analysis, simulation, prototyping and testing of hardware
- Component sourcing, including evaluation, datasheet analysis, and selection
- Experience designing switching regulators such as those used in LED drivers and battery chargers
- Experience using Altium Designer to create schematics, layouts and complete manufacturing documentation
- Experienced breadboarding circuits, modifying existing PCBAs, soldering and rework
- Experience with manufacturing process, design for manufacture, surface mount and mechanical interface
- Experienced doing design verification & validation, and design of tests
- Strong electronics troubleshooting skills
- Able to interact with others to achieve goals
- Experienced with automated test bed design and implementation
- Experience with wireless technologies such as Bluetooth, Cellular and GPS
- Solid understanding of environmental testing for electronics
- A passion for personal growth and learning
- Thinking holistically about the way a system’s constituent parts interrelate and how systems work over time and within the context of larger systems
- Degree or Diploma in Computer or Electrical Engineering
- At least 5 years of experience designing embedded systems